Wednesday, August 17, 2011

@CrappyBoss Q&A #9

Q. What's the worst crappy boss behavior?

A. It is hard to say what’s “worst” because crappiness is in the eye – or the ear, as the case may be – of the beholder. 

The ear? 

Yes, the ear. 

You might remember in the mid-1990’s the case of J.R. Bolduc, the CEO of W.R. Grace Co. Inc., who was forced out of his job because, the company said, he had sexually harassed several female employees.  According to the Washington Post:

“Published reports quoted Grace employees as saying that Bolduc frequently made sexual jokes, nibbled on women workers' ears, patted their buttocks and licked his fingers and put them in their ears. 

Talk about getting an earful from the boss! This case stands out for me as a particularly fine example of crappy behavior. 

I am going to complete the answer to this question in my next post by turning from specific cases to what I see as the most wide-spread, general type of crappy boss behavior: Give it up for, MICROMANAGEMENT.

2 comments:

  1. I love the concept of your blog and am your latest follower (MuMuGB). Thanks for the follow on Twitter (@JSJ2020).
    Talking about crappy bosses, some can be women too. How about not answering when you say hello in the morning (every morning)? Or telling you to keep sth confidential and then sharing it with everybody? I think I need to guest post!

    Please pay me a visit on my site: 40blogSpot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks MuMuGB.

    I agree completely with your points. And I expect to tweet your examples soon.

    On the gender issue, take a glance at Q&A #5 and see what you think about that.

    I'll visit your blog as soon as I am done procrastinating.

    ReplyDelete